Souleymane Porgo wakes up after week-long coma | Souleymane Porgo se réveille après un coma d’une semaine

Souleymane Porgo wakes up after week-long coma | Souleymane Porgo se réveille après un coma d'une semaine

Photos by Isseu Diouf Campbell

West African street vendor Souleymane Porgo regained consciousness yesterday evening at the intensive care unit of Lincoln Hospital.

His brother Issa, a cab driver who has not been to work since the incident occurred said with a smile.

“He is awake. This is a good sign.”

Due to an increasing number of visitors, the family has put in place restrictions. Only a carefully selected number of people, mainly family members, are allowed to visit Porgo.

Ambroise Ngande from the African Advisory Council of the Bronx was one of the privileged ones. He visited Porgo at around 7:30 PM and was happy to see him aware.

“If you look at the response that we are getting now compared to the trauma he went through, I think he is going to be ok,” said Ngande.

“Porgo’s wife told me that he responded after she played an audio of their children,” Ngande added.

Souleymane Porgo was in a coma for more than a week after being brutally assaulted by a group of men in the afternoon of May 2 at the corner of 149th street and 3rd ave.

Three members of the group have so far been arrested.

To help the family, visit: https://www.gofundme.com/justice-for-porgo

Le vendeur de rue ouest-africain Souleymane Porgo a retrouvé la conscience hier soir à l’unité de soins intensifs de l’Hôpital Lincoln.

Son frère Issa, un chauffeur de taxi qui n’a pas travaillé depuis l’incident, a déclaré avec le sourire.

“Il est réveillé. C’est bon signe”.

En raison d’un nombre croissant de visiteurs, la famille a mis en place des restrictions. Seul un nombre soigneusement sélectionné de personnes, principalement des membres de la famille, sont autorisés à rendre visite à Porgo.

Ambroise Ngande, du conseil consultatif africain, était l’un des privilégiés. Il a rendu visite à Porgo vers 19h30 et était content de le voir alerte.

“Si vous regardez la réponse que nous avons maintenant par rapport au traumatisme qu’il a subi, je pense que cela va aller”, a déclaré Ngande.

“La femme de Porgo m’a dit qu’il a réagi quand elle a joué un enregistrement sonore de leurs enfants”, a ajouté Ngande.

Souleymane Porgo était dans le coma pendant plus d’une semaine après avoir été brutalement agressé par un groupe d’hommes dans l’après-midi du 2 mai au coin de la 149e rue et 3e avenue.

Trois membres du groupe ont été arrêtés.

Pour aider la famille, visitez: https://www.gofundme.com/justice-for-porgo