WHO Africa Director for Africa visits Kinshasa on Ebola outbreak | Le directeur de l’OMS Afrique visite Kinshasa en réponse à l’épidémie d’Ebola

WHO Africa Director for Africa visits Kinshasa on Ebola outbreak

The UN World Health Organisation (WHO) Regional Director for Africa, Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, on Saturday visited Kinshasa, DR Congo, to discuss with national authorities and partners ways to mount a rapid, effective and coherent response in bvtop the ongoing Ebola outbreak that has claimed 3 lives so far.

The visit follows notification by the DR Congo Government of an outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Likati health zone, Bas Uele Province, in the northern part of the country bordering Central African Republic.

The Likati health zone is about 1,400 kilometres from the capital. As of Saturday, 11 suspected cases including 3 deaths had been reported.

Speaking at the meeting, Dr Moeti said: “I am here to assure the government of DR Congo that in collaboration with the UN system and other partners, we will work together to respond to this outbreak. WHO has already mobilized technical experts to be deployed on the ground and is ready to provide the leadership and technical expertise required to mount a coordinated and effective response. I encourage to public to work with the health authorities and take the necessary preventive measures to protect their health.”

On 10 May 2017, a multidisciplinary team led by the Ministry of Health (MoH) and supported by WHO, under the new WHO Emergency Programme, and partners, was deployed to the Likati health zone, Bas Uele Province to conduct an in-depth field investigation.

The health zone is situated in the remote, isolated and hard-to-reach northern part of the country, with limited transport and communication networks – factors that all impeded transmission of information about the suspected outbreak. Currently it takes about 2-3 days to reach the epicenter from Kinshasa.

WHO said the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN) has been activated to provide additional support if required. Reinforcement of epidemiological surveillance, contact tracing, case management, and community engagement are under way.

“We are grateful to WHO and other partners for the swift support in carrying out investigations that led to the confirmation of this outbreak,” said Dr. Oly Ilunga Kalenga, the Minister of Health of DR Congo. “A strong multi-sectoral response, better coordination, public awareness, community engagement and ade-quate resources will be critical in our efforts to stop the outbreak,” he added.

The first case occurred on 22 April in a 45-year-old male. He was transported by taxi to hospital and was dead on arrival. The driver also fell ill and later died. A third person who cared for the first case also be-came ill and has subsequently died. At present, 25 contacts of the second patient who died are being followed. Of the cases and deaths, 1 has been tested PCR-positive for Ebola

This is the eighth outbreak of Ebola virus disease since its discovery in 1976 in the Democratic Republic of Congo. On 20 November 2014, in line with WHO recommendations, the Ministry of Health of DR Congo and WHO declared the end of the Ebola Virus disease outbreak that started on 24 August 2014 and resulted in a total of 38 laboratory confirmed cases and 28 probable cases including 49 deaths in Boende, Equateur province.

• 2014: 66 cases of EVD including 49 deaths diagnosed initially in Equateur province (Watsi Kengo, Lokolia, Boende, and Boende Muke)

• 2012: 62 cases including 34 deaths Orientale Province -Isiro (Bundibugyo virus)

• 2008-2009: 32 cases including 15 deaths in Kasaï-Occidental (Zaire virus)

• 2007: 264 cases including 187 deaths in Kasaï-Occidental (Zaire virus)

• 1995: 317 cases including 245 deaths, in Kikwit, Bandundu Province

• 1977: 1 case with 1 death in Tandala, Equateur Province

• 1976: 318 cases including 280 deaths in Yambuku – (Zaire virus)

WHO said the full extent of the 2017 outbreak is still not yet clear. Extensive investigation and risk assessments are being conducted and the findings will be communicated accordingly.

“WHO does not recommend any restriction of travel and trade to DRC based on the currently available information”.

Photo credit: WHO

Le directeur régional de l’organisation mondiale de la santé (OMS) pour l’Afrique, le Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, a visité samedi Kinshasa, en République Démocratique du Congo, pour discuter avec les autorités nationales et les partenaires des moyens de mettre en place une réponse rapide, efficace et cohérente pour lutter contre l’épidémie d’Ebola en cours qui a jusqu’ici fait 3 morts.

La visite fait suite à la notification par le gouvernement de la RD Congo d’une épidémie de maladie du virus Ebola dans la zone de santé de Likati, province du Bas-Uele, dans la partie nord du pays, riverain de la république centrafricaine.

La zone de santé de Likati est à environ 1400 kilomètres de la capitale. Samedi, 11 cas suspects incluant 3 décès avaient été rapportés.

S’exprimant lors de la réunion, le Dr Moeti a déclaré: «Je suis là pour assurer au gouvernement de la RD Congo que, en collaboration avec le système des Nations Unies et autres partenaires, nous travaillerons ensemble pour répondre à cette épidémie. L’OMS a déjà mobilisé des experts techniques pour être déployés sur le terrain et est prêt à fournir le leadership et l’expertise technique nécessaire pour mettre en place une réponse coordonnée et efficace. J’encourage le public à travailler avec les autorités sanitaires et à prendre les mesures préventives nécessaires pour se protéger “.

Le 10 mai 2017, une équipe multidisciplinaire dirigée par le ministère de la santé et soutenue par l’OMS, dans le cadre du nouveau programme d’urgence de l’OMS et des partenaires, a été déployée dans la zone de santé de Likati, dans la province de Bas-Uele, pour mener une enquête de terrain approfondie.

La zone de santé est située dans la partie nord du pays isolée et difficile à atteindre, avec des réseaux de transport et de communication limités – facteurs qui entravent toute transmission d’informations sur l’épidémie suspectée. Actuellement, il faut environ 2-3 jours pour atteindre l’épicentre de Kinshasa.

L’OMS a déclaré que le Global Alert and Response Network (GOARN) a été activé pour fournir un soutien supplémentaire si nécessaire. Le renforcement de la surveillance épidémiologique, le suivi des contacts, la gestion des cas et l’engagement communautaire sont en cours.

“Nous sommes reconnaissants à l’OMS et à d’autres partenaires pour le soutien rapide dans la réalisation d’enquêtes qui ont mené à la confirmation de cette épidémie”, a déclaré le Dr. Oly Ilunga Kalenga, ministre de la santé de la République Démocratique du Congo. “Une forte réponse multisectorielle, une meilleure coordination, une sensibilisation du public, un engagement communautaire et des ressources adéquates seront essentielles à nos efforts pour mettre fin à l’épidémie », a-t-il ajouté.

Le premier cas s’est produit le 22 avril chez un homme de 45 ans. Il a été transporté en taxi vers l’hôpital et est mort à l’arrivée. Le conducteur est également tombé malade et est décédé quelques jours plus tard. Une tierce personne qui s’est occupée du premier cas est également tombée malade et est décédée par la suite. À l’heure actuelle, 25 contacts du deuxième patient décédé sont suivis. Parmi les cas et les décès, 1 a été testé PCR-positif pour Ebola.

Il s’agit de la huitième épidémie de maladie du virus Ebola depuis sa découverte en 1976 en République Démocratique du Congo. Le 20 novembre 2014, conformément aux recommandations de l’OMS, le ministère de la Santé de la RD Congo et l’OMS ont déclaré la fin de l’épidémie du virus Ebola qui a débuté le 24 août 2014 et a entraîné un total de 38 cas confirmés en laboratoire et 28 cas probables, y compris 49 décès à Boende, province de l’Equateur.

• 2014: 66 cas d’EVD dont 49 décès diagnostiqués initialement dans la province de l’Equateur (Watsi Kengo, Lokolia, Boende et Boende Muke)

• 2012: 62 cas dont 34 décès dans la Province orientale -Isiro (virus de Bundibugyo)

• 2008-2009: 32 cas dont 15 décès à Kasaï-Occidental (virus du Zaïre)

• 2007: 264 cas dont 187 décès à Kasaï-Occidental (virus du Zaïre)

• 1995: 317 cas dont 245 décès, à Kikwit, province de Bandundu

• 1977: 1 cas avec 1 décès à Tandala, province de l’Equateur

• 1976: 318 cas dont 280 décès à Yambuku – (virus du Zaïre)

L’OMS a déclaré que l’ampleur de l’épidémie de 2017 n’est pas encore claire. Des enquêtes approfondies et des évaluations des risques sont menées et les résultats seront communiqués en conséquence.

«L’OMS ne recommande aucune restriction de déplacement et d’échange en DRC en fonction de l’information actuellement disponible».

Source PANA